China joins calls on Israel to halt new settlement plan

Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Qin Gang
China has joined international condemnation of an Israeli plan to build 1,600 homes on occupied Palestinian land in an East Jerusalem (al-Quds) settlement calling for a halt to the expansion scheme.

"We request the Israeli side to stop the establishment of new Jewish settlements and make concerted efforts and concrete actions to contribute to the resumption of peace talks," Chinese Foreign Ministry Spokesman Qin Gang said on Thursday.

"This action will damage the basis for the negotiations between the two sides and undermine international mediation efforts," Gang added.

Tel Aviv regime's green light to the construction of 1,600 homes in Ramat Shlomo neighborhood in al-Quds has drawn severe criticism internationally.

US optimism for kick-starting the Middle East 'peace' process has suffered a humiliating setback as President Obama's Middle East envoy George Mitchell is trying to revive an indirect dialogue between Palestinians and Israelis after a year of acrimony.

Previous efforts at direct talks have fallen short since Tel Aviv declines to meet the Palestinians' crucial demand — a comprehensive freeze on all settlement activities in the West Bank. 
 
Comments:
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:23:21 GMT
Well done China,China and Iran must cooperate in world issues and stop the US,for once and forever.
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 18:11:57 GMT
Their American jewish lobby will silence any State that want to blame israel for any wrong actions
Thu, 11 Mar 2010 21:50:39 GMT
...Digging your own grave !! Good Riddance Israhell....Im, like the rest of the world wont miss you.....
Qatar's premier says Arab states will give an appropriate response to Israel's decision to expand its settlements in the occupied West Bank.

"There will be a meeting today (Wednesday) between the representatives of Arab states and [Arab League chief] Amr Mussa," Sheikh Hamad bin Jassem al-Thani told reporters in Doha.

"There will be a clear decision in response to this Israeli act. We had already had doubts about Israel's seriousness in the peace process, but we had given peace talks an opportunity through our decision," he added.  
Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri
The Lebanese Parliament Speaker Nabih Berri has urged the Arab League (AL) to reject calls for indirect talks with Israel.

“The League should follow the examples set by Lebanon and Syria in rejecting indirect negotiations with Israel," Berri said on Friday.

“Once again, we will not rush to condemn Israeli aggression, and state the obvious, since we have already called on Arab [countries and institutions] to take a step that goes beyond condemnation, and get back to the root of facing occupation," he added.

“We should revert to implementing the decisions of the Central Boycott Office of Israel, and take the necessary steps to expose the practices of the occupation forces in all international arenas," Berri emphasized.

The Lebanese official further called for supporting the Palestinians in light of the recurrent Israeli threats
Deputy Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko
Russia has expressed concern over Israel's repeated violations of the Lebanese airspace and sovereignty in violation of the UN Security Council resolutions.

In a statement on Thursday, Deputy Russian Minister of Foreign Affairs Alexander Yakovenko said that Israel's non-abidance by the UN Resolution 1701 is manifested in its continued violation of the Lebanese airspace and the refusal to withdraw from al-Ghajar town.

He added that the Security Council will be looking into a report prepared by the UN Secretary General Ban Ki-moon about the implementation of Resolution 1701 and the conflict in the Middle East.

Yakovenko also noted that Israel's settlement activities in Palestine are a serious obstacle to the Mideast peace process.

Israeli fighter jets invade Lebanese airspace almost on a daily basis and break sound barriers over several villages in southern parts of the country. The violations come amid heightened concern in Lebanon over recent Israeli threats and provocations against the country. 
The democratically-elected Palestinian Prime Minister Ismail Haniyeh
The democratically-elected Palestinian Prime Minister says that the Arab League decision to back the US-sponsored talks with Israel accelerated Tel Aviv's settlement drive in Jerusalem (Al-Quds).

"The decision encouraged Zionists to push ahead their settlement expansion in the West Bank. Israeli plan to build hundreds of homes whilst the US Vice President Joe Biden is on a visit to the region truly shows American cover to such a settlement plan," Ismail Haniyeh said on Wednesday.

The senior Hamas official also called on Arab nations and the Ramallah-based Palestinian Authority not to move forward with the proposed peace talks. He said they should instead attempt to bring Palestinians together and support Palestinian resistance against "the Zionist occupation."

However, the Arab League withdrew its support for indirect talks between the two sides on Wednesday due to the recent Israeli declaration on new settlement activities in al-Quds. A final decision is expected from the Arab foreign ministers amid concerns that they are heavily influenced by the US, the chief sponsor of Israel and the so-called Middle East peace talks.

Israel's Interior Ministry on Tuesday said it had approved the construction of 1,600 new housing units in Ramat Shlomo neighborhood in the mainly Arab eastern section of al-Quds.

The announcement sparked swift condemnation from Britain, China, Lebanon, Russia, Turkey, the United States and a number of other countries.  
Turkey denounces Israeli plan to build hundreds of new Jewish homes in Jerusalem (al-Quds) insisting the move casts serious doubts on Tel Aviv's supposed commitment to Middle East peace.

"Confidence-building measures are more necessary than ever in view of the fact that Palestinians and Israel have set an agenda for indirect peace talks. The recent Israeli decision really sours the atmosphere of trust and throws grave doubts over Israel's attitude and intentions," a statement released Thursday by the Turkish foreign ministry read.

The statement also called on Tel Aviv "to reconsider its decision and refrain from actions that will alter the conditions in Jerusalem (al-Quds) and impede the peace process." 
 
 

Geen opmerkingen:

Een reactie plaatsen